The sun is (sometimes) shining, the birds are singing and – if you’re not suffering in allergy season one of the bugs that surfaces around this time of year will probably get you in the end!
Doom and gloom aside, I always seem to come down with something this time of year and when the tell-tale tickle in the back of my throat appeared earlier this week – I made a conscious effort to infuse my diet with these amazing, natural immunity boosters:
- Turmeric – anti inflammatory as well as antioxidant, turmeric is a super-food powerhouse. Top tip – if you eat it with black pepper you aid the body’s absorption.
- Garlic – this pungent but delicious herb has many healing properties. It is best eaten fresh and more than compensates for less than minty-fresh breath.
- Spinach – bursting with folic acid to repair cells and Vitamin C – a well-known immunity booster, spinach is not something to stint on if you are starting to feel under the weather.
- Vitamin D fortified yogurt – this helps the body’s defences against disease, however go for unsweetened yogurt which will not load you up on sugar.
- Lemon – rich in Vitamin C (which the body doesn’t produce and therefore requires a daily dose from your diet) Lemon, or indeed any citrus fruit, is the ideal addition to your diet when your health is starting to drop.